VIVA OAXACA~

  January just flew right by, didn't it? Here it is mid-way between Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox... how did that happen? I'm just back from Oaxaca, and received this newsletter yesterday from my friend Ellen Benson, aka Dumpster Diva. Seriously, look it up! There's nothing she can't and won't make art from; it's her commitment to reuse, recycle, that led to our friendship for all these years. Ellen is extraordinary in her exuberance for art, the environment, all of life, and I'm grateful to share with you her thoughts about my book presentation in Oaxaca, copied below with her permission. 

"Hola Amigos! I am thrilled that my teacher, mentor and friend, Lena Bartula was recently invited to speak about her new book, SUSURROS EN EL HILO/WHISPERS IN THE THREAD, here in Oaxaca at the English language library. It was so much fun going to the rooftop presentation because I got to see many of my friends and others who made this like a who’s who of women artists, activists, writers, photographers, community organizers of Oaxaca, most of whom i hadn’t seen in 2 years, including photographer Judith Haden, author of OAXACA: The Spirit of Mexico, former director of the Textile Museum, photographer and author Ana Paula Fuentes; Immediate Past  President of the Oaxaca Lending Library Jacki Cooper Gordon; Founder of the Healing Blanket Project  Marietta Bernstorff;  artist extraordinaire Judy Wise, Suzanne Lyons, blogger Shannon Pixley Sheppard, and many others. 

Here is how Lena describes her book: 'I'm excited to present this book, which celebrates 15 years of my huipil series. You who have followed me and know my inspiration will understand the exuberance I'm feeling. In 2003, I never could have imagined that the first huipil I created would take me on this journey. It has been an inspired, passionate deep dive into the mystery and seduction of a Mesoamerican garment that is at once text and textile.  Borrowing from the idea of the shirt as messenger has transformed me from a painter into a fabric / collage / installation artist and along the way, an advocate for women's rights. Come along with me in this bilingual book that features not only full color images of my art, but also poetry, stories, legends, artistic process, and writings by contributing authors.'

"I will also say that Lena is an honorary Dumpster Diva! Her work incorporates items for the material world of Mexico such as corn husks, zippers, clothing labels, bottlecaps, lottery sheets, market bags etc.  Whispers in the Thread is now available in San Miguel de Allende at Lena’s gallery, La Huipilista Artspace. Shipping is available within Mexico and also to the U.S.  To order, please send her an email at lenabartula@gmail.com. If you love textiles, Mexico, and the incorporation of social issues into beautiful art, you need this in your library!

Even with  all the changes, Oaxaca is still filled to the brim with fabulous murals, rooftop dining everywhere, colors and interesting people! Love, Ellen"

Lena reading at the Literary Sala, San Miguel de Allende



Some of Lena's huipil art from the book. 

Thank you Ellen Benson, for your extraordinary generosity. 
And to share with my readers something about Ellen and her own work, here's a link to her website: https://inliquid.org/artist/benson-ellen/  

Comments

Popular Posts