SLOW FIESTA: TAKING A CHANCE



September is FIESTA month for many historical and religious events in México, and there's also an anniversary happening here at La Huipilista Artspace.  Due to Covid, we didn't have an event in 2020, but this year, I want to take a chance and celebrate in a safe manner, (because Covid still lurks.) It's an opportunity to give thanks to friends, fellow artists, supporters and collectors that have nourished this space with their energy, encouragement, and generosity for the last FOUR years! It's hard to believe this place has such staying power that I've actually moved in and it's now gallery, studio, and home. What an unbelievable journey it's been since that day I got an email that changed everything.

It was August, 2017, and I had just returned from San Cristobal de Las Casas, working at Taller Leñateros , making paper for a handmade artbook. Also, it had been a fulfilling year of travel and exhibitions, and now I was ready to be back in the studio. I had a notion that I really wanted a space into which I could invite the public. Because my house was on a residential street, I began imagining what it would take to rent a small commercial space for a gallery. It wasn't something I told my friends, nor did I post on Facebook that I was looking. I just began by envisioning and writing down my intentions, as is my usual modus operandi. 

Within a couple of weeks, an email arrived with an invitation to see "an apartment I might like" prompting me to go have a look. As it turned out, it was on my favorite street in Colonia Guadalupe, an up and coming little niche dotted with a pizza place, food truck, great tienda, and a little vinateria (wine store.) And only 2.5 blocks from my house. Well, as providence would have it, I walked in, checked things off on my intention list, and knew I had to take a chance. YES, I said immediately.... because sometimes, you just know. 

Installing track lights, painting the walls, deciding on a name, getting promotions done, and finally hanging art, it somehow all came together for a grand opening on September 22. It poured rain the entire time, making for a captive audience of visitors who couldn't wade through the river that ran in the street. After last night's rain, we know it could happen again for this celebration as well.

This time, however, instead of a couple of hours for one night, there will be two afternoons: a SLOW FIESTA.  If you feel comfortable to drop in, say hello, see what's new, please be assured that we'll be following protocol with temperature taking, mask wearing, and social distancing. Friday and Saturday, September 24 and 25, from 2-6pm both days. email for more details, lenabartula@gmail.com 

And if you're out celebrating México's Independence this week, be safe, have fun, and Viva México!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts