HALF A YEAR

Hello dears, it's been a minute! There is so much to read these days, between blogs, newsletters, Substack, and social media, that I often forget how long it's been since I wrote my own. So here we go. Welcome back! 

      
      

2026 opened with the Guadalupe Artwalk at the end of January. Our YoTeVeo SMA stitchers and I wore our own creations, paper maché masks with eyes to represent our cause. 'Keeping our eyes on Gaza' opened the year, as it had the 2 previous, and we continue. It was a booming success, and we were able to send a nice amount to the families and organizations we support through our efforts. We always need more, because they need more, so if you'd like to join us in support of a Free Palestine, there are multiple ways to do so. Send me an email if you're ready to help. 


          
Besides our popular Witness Quilts, we also created Witness Dolls, Prayer Flags, medicine pouches.  As with everything we make, 100% of every purchase goes directly to Palestine, and we ship almost anywhere!


     

April and May took me back to Guatemala, where I stayed for my two exhibitions. EL HILO QUE CORRE, the solo exhibition that showed at Museo de Arte Popular in 2024, opened at Casa Santo Domingo on April 24, and continued through May 24. This 17th century ex-convento is the most beautiful and best preserved building in all of Antigua, with a world-renowned hotel, restaurant, and 5 museums. It's always an honor to exhibit there!



Running concurrently was an expovento for YoTeVeoSMA, with our sister project YoTeVeo Pana. La Galeria  hosted this collaboration with eyes from their own community, and eyes from our project in San Miguel. Sales were great, and there are still some pieces there, until they're gone. If you're in Panajachel, please stop in and meet the lovely director Sabine Voelcker. 


And finally, after both shows, I was asked to leave some of the work from El Hilo Que Corre at this beautiful gallery, Musa, in Guatemala City. That was quite a. nice surprise. 




CASA ELENA; A ROOM OF HER OWN

This is a private space above LA HUIPILISTA ARTSPACE, where I have my home, gallery and studio. This lovely casita is a retreat / residency for women who want to explore their creativity and or work on their own in San Miguel de Allende. This town is abundant with classes and workshops in painting, drawing, ceramics, paper maché, and sculpture. I also teach workshops, so it's possible you can do some here as well. (workshop schedule to be announced later) There is also a thriving literary community, offering readings, salons, and writing workshops. One month maximum, reservations open now for September and beyond. Email for details about your own piece of paradise in San Miguel. 


I hope you're all having a wonderful summer, even as the world is throwing so much at us in terms of social upheaval, climate change, and shifting sands on a global scale. May we all care for each other and our planet so that we all thrive together. Here's to justice, peace and harmony.

                                    With love and hope,                                                          

Lena


I've been trying to keep up with the mailing list, and I believe that you are receiving this newsletter because you signed up for it. However, if I'm wrong about that, or if at any time you decide you'd rather not receive it,  please write me with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. No questions asked. Have a great day!

If you enjoy hearing from me and want to stay in touch, thank you for being here. Feel free to share this newsletter with a friend you think would enjoy it as well. 













Comments

Popular Posts