ENDINGS AND BEGINNINGS

Can you feel the change in the air? The stifling heat in San Miguel is subsiding, the magnificent clouds have finally opened, leaving everything fresh and clean again. August arrived with plans, memories, and emotions as another summer comes to an close, and another school year is in sight. Endings and beginnings, as is the blessing of each and every season.

El Charco, Jardin Botanico after the rain

September is typically a mega month for cultural and religious events, including Independencia, all of which naturally include fiestas and fireworks. If you're like me, you might be making lists and posting in your calendar to keep up with the wondrous months ahead. I'll be honest, I can barely keep up, so I'm just going to share what I have in my own calendar for next month. I invite you to join me for any or all of these events, and as always, I'll be grateful and happy to see you. 


Opening the month on Friday, the 1st, is the grand inauguration of Rostros de Los Migrantes / Faces of the Migrants, at Casa Europa, San Miguel. Curated by photographer and videographer Jennifer Moran, it features the works of 8 artists including myself. A benefit for the Latin America Relief Fund, it also offers artist talks and other events to promote awareness of and support for a new long-term facility to extend the refuge offered by Casa de ABBA. 

Sacrificio, 42.44", migrant clothing/mixed media, 2023

As part of the month-long offerings, I'll be presenting an artist talk about the works I've created
for the exhibit. Sunday, Sept. 10. I believe it's scheduled for 2 pm.  It's been an incredible journey, working with this theme and the materials direct from the migrants who show up here, so I look forward to sharing that process with an audience. If it's recorded, I'll post that at some point. 


Por la Vida, plastic banner, film strips, plastic oilcloth, 2019

On Sept. 18, La Locura del Plastico/ Plastic Madness, opens at Museo del Naval, Cartegena, with works from Mexico and Colombia. Originally organized by Glen Rogers, it debuted at Casa Europa in 2019, before traveling to Mazatlan, Sinaloa. My work will be included, as well as many other San Miguel artists. Congratulations, Glen Rogers, on this initiative to bring awareness to the plastic crisis though art.





In August, 2017, I opened the door to this dreary little house on Julian Carrillo. Here's how it looked the first time I walked in. I had to imagine, envision, whether it would work ... or not. 

Dreary, but it had potential.



Today, I could not be happier that I said YES, I'll take it! 

September will be year 6 for La Huipilista Artspace, and it feels like time for another ANNIVERSARY PARTY!!! Mark your calendars for Thursday, September 21, and come celebrate another year of art in San Miguel, and another turning of the wheel as we welcome the Autumn Equinox. 

A huge THANK YOU to all of you who have supported me and the artists who have exhibited here, and all  the arts in San Miguel. Viva la Vida del Arte! 


Feel free to leave comments on the blog to let me know what you think, what you'd like to read more about, or wish to share with me. If you've received this from a source other than email, and would like to subscribe, please send me a message at lenabartula@gmail.com and write "suscribe me" in the subject line. 

As always, if you'd rather not receive these newsletters, please send me an email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. I'm grateful to those of you who continue to love reading them.






Comments

Popular Posts