TEXTILES, HERITAGE, NEW AND OLD FRIENDS

Last week was my very first visit to the International Folk Art Market in Santa Fe, NM. It started the very week that I left Santa Fe for Mexico, July, 2004, as something the producers imagined would be a 'one off' event. Now it's grown to be the largest folk art market of its kind, anywhere in the world. So it was an immense pleasure to be an invited guest, working in the tent with my friend Lidia Lopez from San Antonio, Aguascalientes, Guatemala. Last year when I was visiting her in Antigua, I met Jennie Frederick, who told me she was from Santa Fe, and was going to apply to sponsor Lidia in 2023. Everything blossomed from there. 

Lidia gives a weaving demo, meeting
so many fans and friends!

Lidia's sponsor Jennie, and Peruvian
weaver friend Nilda.
 

Guatemaltecan weavers together in the parade.

                                              


                                                                        

    Miscellaneous textiles to fall in love with! I'll post the artist names or countries when I get settled. 

    

Thanks for coming along on this textile tour...I hope you've enjoyed the beauty! If you'd 
rather not receive my blog posts, just send me an email that says "unsubscribe." 




Comments

Jan Davis said…
I enjoyed this Lena! Thank you!
Unknown said…
So glad you came to Santa Fe! We have all missed you! Xx
Patsy DuBois said…
Thank you Lena..these jackets and beautiful textiles from Uzbekistan are from my friend,Sanjar ..
His work is amazing,I met him in Uzbek in 2014,right before his first fair in Santa Fe.He wanted me to join him for that fair and thought Mexico was the same as New Mexico.We are friends on Facebook and I am so proud of his progress ..all because of his start in the fair.Glad you we able to attend👍👏❤️
Kathryn Boulet said…
What a beautiful full circle for you Lena. And congratulations on your first blog post, I’ll look forward to receiving them.
Patricia Smith said…
What an amazing experience for you to return to Santa Fe AND to be reunitied with so many textile friends old and new ones. I'm thrilled for you and for ever grateful that you are willing to share these experiences with us. See you soon!

Popular Posts