FEBRERO LOCO

 There's a Mexican dicho (saying) normally used to describe the weather. It goes like this: 

"Febrero loco, Marzo un poco"   meaning: both February and March tend to be unpredictable and a little crazy. If you've been here during those months, you know it to be true. In other ways, both months are the craziest of the entire year, it seems to me. Look at this post, I haven't found time to write since January.... and it's now April!! Where did the time go? 

So, I thought I might fill you in with some of the highlights of my personal loco time. There was one perfect week in Oaxaca, where I was invited to again to give a talk at the Oaxaca Lending Library. Another full house, like last year, which is always a great deal of fun. Thank you to all the staff, volunteers, and those who came out to hear me speak on "Follow the Thread: Textiles in Transition." Thanks also to AnaPaula Fuentes for providing a lovely space to hold a workshop, titled the same as my presentation. Watch for more workshops to come!

                                            (Monarch Butterfly painting by Glen Rogers)


FOLLOW THE THREAD WORKSHOP, 3 days of fun experiential textile play!



Just this week I returned from San Cristóbal de las Casas, where I stayed at the legendary Na Bolom. So much more than a hotel, it was a divine landing place this time.

One of Na Bolom's spacious patios
New friends at breakfast, Na Bolom
New friends meet over coffee

Lyn Pentecost, painter of the mural and
so much more, this fab lady!

Trudy's bedroom, much like my own,
small and simple. 


        






                                                



Most days, after a generous breakfast in the sunshine, I worked at Taller Leñaterosmaking paper and learning serigrafía. A four-block stroll from Na Bolom, it was the perfect combination of work and play, new friends and old. My experiment of embedding threads in the paper was a super success; the printmaking not so much, but it might be worth going back to try again. See you next time San Cris!

Threads before embedding in recycled
paper pulp and water

Finished paper, voila!


Taller Leñateros poster on the wall. 
I LOVE this image!












Laying the wet paper down to dry

                                






 



Comments

Popular Posts