LIFE INTERRUPTED

Everyone in the world is experiencing something together, for the first time in our lives. Even after all these weeks, that concept is still hard to wrap my head around. As I've been reminded, and totally agree with, we are not all in the same boat. Of course, if we're paying attention, we know we couldn't be. However, here in San Miguel we have a strong community working together to make sure that those in need are taken care of during this time. To name only one of many, Amigos al 100 is fulfilling daunting tasks every day, as are hundreds of others. 

At this time, it's said that we have 8 confirmed cases of Covid19, and regulations are getting stricter, finally, about the stay at home orders.

Just today, our beautiful botanical gardens of El Charco del Ingenio has closed. I imagine that was going to be a destination that many had hoped to walk around today, Earth Day. It's strange to see what is deemed essential business and what is not. Of course, art galleries are non-essential, except as food for the soul, and maybe food for the owner. La Huipilista Artspace has been closed since March 13, and I feel like an old hand at staying in, isolating, but also helping out where I can. Everyone has a story about what they would have been doing, what has been cancelled, or what changes have thrown them off their supposed norms. 

I've been thinking about mine as well, and realize that this week, I would have been in Antigua, Guatemala, presenting my book Whispers in the Thread. Friends had scheduled me for a booksigning and sale at the gorgeous destination hotel and restaurant, Meson Panza Verde



I was excited that I'd be seeing some of the people who have been instrumental in my work for many years, some in particular who would have seen themselves or their works in the book for the first time. Now, we just say that we hope to reconnect after the virus has died, when we're all safe, and travel bans are lifted.

Even before this month's plans were the cancellations for the month of March, which would have taken me to the University of North Carolina, in Chapel Hill. My mission: a presentation to the art department, of my extensive work about Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz


When I cancelled, it was still January and they weren't at all sure that the virus would be an issue two months later. Sadly, I was right to cancel, but I do hope to return when it's feasible. 


Originally, after returning from UNC, I was scheduled to co-lead a textile tour to Chiapas with my friend Judith Gille. We had great plans to visit weaving communities, and both of us were scheduled to present our books on March 26 in the library at Na Bolom, in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas. When I was last there, I shot this tranquil photo, although the event I was there for totally packed the room.

As with the other book tour, I was looking forward to connecting with friends, many of them who had been on this journey with me for so long. And some who would have recognized their parts in bringing the project to fruition. 














I'm hoping that this too, will be rescheduled when the time is right. For now, I wish you all a peaceful place to shelter, a trust that we'll get through this time together, and come out on the other side of it, as better human beings who take care for each other and our planet. 

Comments

Popular Posts