DIA DE LOS MUERTOS

Every year for Dia de los Muertos, I invite a small group of friends to help me construct an altar for this ancient tradition of honoring those who came before us. Altars at this time of year are called "ofrendas," on which we offer food, drink, sugar skulls, etc. to the visiting souls. 
Dia de los Muertos ofrenda 2017

Everyone brings photos of family and friends who are no longer with us, and we share our memories and stories about them. Often there is a certain focus or dedication, and this year, I chose to use the huipil "Behind the Label" to remember those in the garment industry who have lost their lives in the work of making the clothes we wear. 


Tribute to the garment workers of the world.


Fashion Revolution, a movement begun
after collapse of Rana Plaza


In the photo below, I chose to remember and honor Petronila, or Doña P as she is lovingly called. I met her in Antigua a few years ago, and many of my huipiles and cortes are from her collection. She left us this year, and joins that spiritual legacy of women in the garment industry who beautify us and our world. 



 

Then yesterday morning, when I walked into the room, I heard a voice say "Release me" and though I don't know which one said it, I knew it was time to disassemble the ofrenda. And so it is. Until next year. 

Comments

Popular Posts