NEW YEAR PROJECT

2014 has been awesomely amazing, intense, tragic and hopeful, and truthfully, I imagine that 2015 will not be much different. The fine balance between chaos and harmony exists no matter what we do, or where we are. I'm here on my threshold, encompassing both, weaving them together as a weaver makes a cloth, aware that one does not exist without the other. And that WE are ALL OF THAT.

In the last few days of 2014, I have been creating little huipil samplers, in the way of lace samplers, crochet samplers, etc. that I have seen in the homes of women who knew all the secrets I never did, about stitchery. When I look at it, I see that some are more successful, some less. But then, that is MY perspective. Together they make a whole, like a quilt that has yet to be stitched together. 


Lena Bartula's "huipil sampler 1"  18.5x 13", mixed media

Making these has spawned (a word I really don't like) another project, and I believe it was subconsciously inspired by Lisa Sonora. I participated in ROOT: a 30-day journal project. I had never made a commitment like that, and I didn't do so well on this first one. I made it to day 21, and looking back, I feel it was because I failed to make it MY project. Lisa is so fabulous, she ALMOST made me think I could do it. So Lisa, thank you so much; because of you, I'm inspired to do something of my own. 

Beginning tomorrow, I'm going to make one huipil a day for 365 days. Yes, I said that. These small ones are 6 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches, and it's likely that somedays I'll be making something much smaller, much less detailed for sure. But since most of 2015, I plan to be in my studio more than I was in 2014, I believe it's a viable goal. 





I hope you'll come along for the journey. See you next year!


Comments

Jean said…
You are setting out on a journey of creative discipline. I admire and am inspired by this commitment! What a wonderful example for those of us who long to create and express, but struggle to allow ourselves the respect, space, and time.
Lisa Sonora said…
I'm here! Coming along for your journey, Lena, and cheering you on.

By the way - 21 days of journaling is a huge accomplishment! HUGE!

My plan for 2015 is to be in the studio more than on the computer, and get into my daily painting again.

You inspire me!

Popular Posts